Thursday, February 27, 2014

IOCC 201 paper instructions Spring 2014


IOCC 201

Writing Assignment

 

You must write one (1)  paper in this course: it has three parts.

 

Your paper must be 5-7 pages long (1250-1750 words), and my “common sense” rule applies.
You must support your claims with quotes from appropriate text we read in the class.

 

Late papers (w/o proper documentation) will be reduced by 10% for each day that it is late.  Example:  Class starts at 9:00, after 9:00 +/- a few minutes it is late.  Each calendar day is a reduction.

 

Topic:

  Three parts to the paper:

  1. This I believe
  2. This I do not believe
  3. This I want to do

 

Example:   

1.      This I believe:  I believe Aristotle was correct about actions done when drunk are a mixed action and people are blameworthy.

2.      I do not believe what Paul wrote about our obligation to the government is the best way for a person to act.

3.      I want to help women get the right to vote in the world after I read Augustine’s City of Man.

 

You may work with any assigned author (original source material) or text in our course.

 

N.B. You must work on a text we read, and if you work from the Bible it must be from a book of the Bible that was ASSIGNED IN CLASS.

 

Citations are ruled by your Rhetoric 102 course or similar course at your transfer college.  The CLE and the Library can help with this.  The WSRP is an outstanding model for writing this paper.  Use the skills acquired in RHET 101 to write a successful paper in IOCC.

 

Use gender neutral language.

 

Improper citations or lack of citations will be charged a 5 point penalty for each offense at a minimum and at a maximum will be considered plagiarism and I will file a formal complaint with the Academic Standards Committee and the Dean of the College.

 

Many, many, IOCC 201 students do not cite the Bible and suffer dearly from this oversight.  The Bible is a book that deserves equal respect among all the great works of the Western tradition.  Despite rumor, there is no rule that ancient text need not be cited.

 

You must use MLA style.

 

Your paper is due on the last day of class!

Your final draft must be handed in as a hardcopy.

You may have a copy of the General Education writing rubric.  It is in an excel format so please email me and I will send it to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment